What is ZeroNet?¶
ZeroNet uses Bitcoin cryptography and BitTorrent technology to build a decentralized censorship-resistant network.
Users can publish static or dynamic websites to ZeroNet and visitors can choose to also serve the site themselves. Websites will remain online as long as one peer is still online.
When a site is updated by its owner, all nodes serving that site (previous visitors) will receive only the incremental updates made to the site content.
ZeroNet comes with a built-in SQL database. This makes content-heavy site development easy. The DB is then synced to hosting nodes via incremental updates.
- We believe in open, free, and uncensored communication.
- No censorship: After something is published there is no way to remove it.
- No single point of failure: Content remains online even if only one peer is serving it.
- Impossible to shut down: It's nowhere because it's everywhere. Content is served by any user who wishes to.
- Fast: ZeroNet uses BitTorrent technology to deliver content faster than centralised servers.
- Works offline: You can access the site even if your internet is unavailable.
- Secure: Content ownership is secured using the same cryptography that secures your Bitcoin wallet.
- Easy, zero configuration setup.
- Password-less BIP32 based authorization: Your account is protected by the same cryptography as your Bitcoin wallet.
- Sites updated in real-time, no refreshing needed.
- Namecoin .bit domains support.
- SQL Database support: Allows for easier site development and faster page load times.
- Anonymity: Full Tor network support with .onion hidden services instead of ipv4 addresses.
- TLS encrypted connections.
- Automatic, uPnP port opening.
- Plugin for multiuser (openproxy) support.
- Works with any browser/OS.
How does it work?¶
- After you install and run ZeroNet, you open a site by visiting:
- ZeroNet will then use the BitTorrent network to find peers that are seeding the site and will download the site content (HTML, CSS, JS...) from these peers.
- Each site visited is then served by your client. Sites can removed or blacklisted if necessary.
- Every site contains a list of all of its files, each entry containing a SHA512 hash and a signature generated using the site owner's private key.
- If the site owner modifies the site, then he/she signs a new list and publishes it to the peers. After the peers have verified the files list integrity (using the signature), they download the modified files and publish the new content to other peers.
No torrent-like, file splitting for big file support(BigFile plugin enables this)
- File transactions are not compressed
or encrypted yet(TLS encryption added)
- No private sites
Help to keep this project alive¶